Friday, August 15, 2008

I CAN CAN TOMATOES!

This actually happened a week or so ago, but I just saw the pictures and got excited about the whole thing again. I grew up helping my grammy 'can' all kinds of vegetables in her garden, so I was really no stranger to this experience. What I hadn't thought of is the fact that I was always the HELPER, not the one orchestrating the whole process. SOOOOO, after picking a whole huge box of tomatoes, we decided to having a tomato canning party for FHE. How bad could this be?? Well, after realizing that there are many steps involved (this is not like freezer jam here), I got things organized and ready to go. First I sterilized the jars and lids. Then got my tomatoes ready to dunk into boiling water, then an ice bath to remove the skins. It was not my lucky day. Our ice machine has been broken and we probably had 10 pieces of ice and a good 100+ tomatoes. I had to make do. Then I had Taylen start skinning the tomatoes. After about 4, she got sick of the smell and said she would help later if it meant staying up past bedtime. By the way, Bart wasn't feeling well either and Dyson had no interest, so FHE ended up being me on a stool with my tomatoes leaning over the sink. After a few hours, I finished. It was a huge pain, but I was proud of myself. The tomatoes look and taste great!


Some of the tomatoes waiting to be skinned.

My helper bails on me.

Every jar sealed. It was a miracle!

6 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I am impressed!! You go girl! Not only do you have all those tomatoes bottled up for later, but every time you use them you will probably think of your Grammy. Funny, how everyone bailed out on you, but that's family life :)) I really am impressed. Those finished jars look beautiful!

The Gage Cage said...

I'm glad you were (are) pleased with yourself. You should be! The jars of tomatoes look beautiful and delicious. I love that red color.

Unknown said...

I am proud of you. I had no interest to learn while I was young and then when you and Stephanie were born, I was interested. This would save money. Thankfully grammy was still alive and grateful I wanted to learn. This helped both of us. We would can and split and proceeds and I learned how. Maybe it was best you did it alone. You probably got finished a lot sooner than with the extra hands.

Chuckleheads said...

I was hoping to see some cancan high kicks in with those pictures. That being said...I revere you domestic canning goddess....while that brings back memories from when I was a kid I have to say I haven't got the gumption to actually try it myself yet.

amyburb said...

Way to go! I am dreading having to can peaches and pears within the next week. I've also never done it myself, only helped my mom. I guess there's a first time for everything!

Lisa said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! You are awesome! That is really beautiful to see. Oh the things you'll be able to do with the canned treasures....mmmmm good!